Sunday, October 4, 2015

Goodnight Mommy

If you're wanting to see some true evil on screen, I'm currently suggesting this title to everybody I encounter.
If you're growing bored from all the super gore, death-during-sex scenes, haunted houses, possessions and just your same old, same old Freddy, Jason, Michaels Myers classics and remakes, then I suggest you explore your horizons a little bit (although I did hear that Myers was getting yet ANOTHER remake after Rob Zombies, so we'll see how that goes...)

Austria is making horror films, and I gotta say, they're ranking high on my charts so far. This movie, Goodnight Mommy, was everything I was hoping it'd be, and then some.

Basically, the mom returns home to her two sons after being under the knife for cosmetic surgery. She's got all these bandages over her face, and in all honesty, she looks like something you'd see on Halloween night. Her image makes you not want to be in that house with her, because she looks so damn spine chilling. You could see the inhuman parts of her inside and out, and I was starting to wonder what kind of sketchy supernatural juice the doctors pumped into her. To add onto that, it wasn't just her blood shot eyes and bandages, but also her body language. The way she walked, the way she would pose, the way she opens a door and peaks her head past the doorway, it was all just fucking creepy, and that my friends, is the proper role you're supposed to play in a horror movie.
It felt like I was watching The Strangers again!
Anyway, back to the plot. The sons clearly get this stranger vibe from her and their lives start to spiral from there. They're conviced that she's not their "mommy", and they brainstorm and come up with some pretty twisted ideas of how they're going to prove that theory.
It's that moment when kids act like adults and do adult things, even the criminally insane adult type of things...
This is the turning point in the film where things start to get immensely fascinating, and then your jaw hits the floor a couple times. Literally.


If it wasn't for Susanne Wuest, who plays mommy, I'm not sure if this movie would have done justice, but thankfully it did, and was very entertaining.
And thank you to Elias and Lukas Schwarz for being the twisted twins that you are.
This movie has little to no gore, and it's not all over the map; the plot is set at this one house (very nice I must say), in the middle of nowhere. They go as far as the backyard, that's it. For a horror film with limited boundaries like that, the director relies only on the psychology to really screw with you mentally. And admit it, we all love that sort of thing.


I recommend this movie to you. Watch it, watch it. It's an out of the ordinary horror film, and it certainly has my vote for a great international film too!

Look at that face! Look!



No comments: